Did you know that many restaurant & hospitality groups use Excel, text, and emails to help streamline the process of managing ongoing repairs in their stores?
Interestingly, the “old school” approach to managing restaurant repairs seems to be gradually transitioning to more modern methods.
Restaurant operators and facility maintenance teams are starting to look into modern, purpose-built Work Order Management Software systems to streamline, track and manage all ongoing repairs.
Modern software companies, such as Maintain IQ, are paving the way for restaurant-specific Work Order Management Software that is both easy to use and cost-effective.
- Reducing R&M (Repair & Maintenance) spending by as much as 18% annually.
- Extending the life of equipment by as much as 25%.
- Reducing labor hours by as much as 40 hours per month.
- Real-time communication between staff & repair teams.
- Automatic Record Keeping.
Table of Contents
What is Work Order Management
Before defining what Work Order Management is, let’s start with a Work Order.
A Work Order represents a helpful request to promptly address unexpected repair needs, like resolving a leaky faucet, repairing a broken window, or restoring malfunctioning equipment.
A Work Order is typically reported, communicated & managed internally between unit-level staff, upper management, and an in-house facility maintenance or repair team.
Below, we will take a closer look at exactly what Work Order Management Software is, how it’s used, how it works, and why it’s such an invaluable asset to running your restaurant operations, particularly multi-unit operations.
Benefits of Automation
The tangible benefits of automation are undeniable.
On the other hand, embracing simplicity and user-friendliness can greatly contribute to the successful adoption of these solutions by operators.
That is why it’s important to seek out modern a, industry-specific Work Order Management Software, such as MaintainIQ for Restaurants, that is designed to be highly intuitive and easy to use.
Qualitative Benefits Include:
- Real-time Reporting of Repairs Needed
- Real-time Communication
- Real-time Status & Tracking of Repairs
- Zero Confusion on Who, What, When & Where of Any Repair Request
- Automatic Updates
- Accurate Record Keeping
- Real-time Notifications & Reminders
- Take & View Detailed Photos & Notes
- Eliminate Paper Documents
- Access with just a Tap on Any Device
Quantitative Benefits Include:
- 18% Reduction in Annual R&M expense
- 25% Increase in Life-of-Equipment
- 67% Decrease in Un-expected Breakdowns
- 40 Hours of Reduced Labor per Month
In today’s challenging environment, more restaurant leaders today are seeking out modern, easy-to-use Work Order Management Software systems to reduce costs & stay ahead of the competition.
Let’s take a look at must-have features of a modern Work Order Management Software system.
Features of Modern Work Order Management Software
Automation helps restaurant staff, managers, and leaders save time, money & resources.
It also eliminates confusion among staff on what needs to be done, how & by when.
This section will examine some of the must-have features of a modern Work Order Management Software system for Restaurants & Hospitality groups.
Must-Have Features of a Modern Work Order Management System
- Report Any Repair Needed at Any Time with Ease
- Ability to Take Photos & Notes at Any Time
- Ability to set Priority Level (Low, Medium, or High)
- Push Notifications When a Repair is Created, Updated, or Closed/Fixed
- Manage & Change Due Dates with Ease
- Manage Warranties & Vendor Contact Info
- Assign to a Team Member
- Assign to a Third-party Contractor
- Designate Access & Edit Rights per User
- Multi-Location View Capabilities
- Multi-Location Access Rights
- Automatic Record Keeping & Updates
- Ability to Search & View Old Repairs
- Ability to Link Repairs to Specific Assets (Equipment)
- Ability to Seek Approval from Managers to Proceed with a Repair Estimate
A feature-rich Work Order Management Software system is easy to find.
However, what’s not easy to find is a Work Order Management Software system very intuitive & easy-to-use.
MaintainIQ for Restaurants is a modern, feature-rich, easy-to-use & intuitive Work Order Management System designed specifically for restaurants & hospitality groups.
Work Order Management Software Systems simplify repair management, particularly for multi-unit operators.
Work order management software can help increase productivity while reducing repair & maintenance costs across your restaurant operations.
How to Choose the Right Work Order Management Software for Your Business
The hospitality industry is highly competitive, leaving very little room for error.
That’s why having an effective work order management software system can give operators a competitive edge, especially in an environment challenged by:
- Increasing regulation
- Rising minimum wages, and
- Fierce competition for loyal customers
Operational efficiency is now a requirement to stay ahead of the curve and maximize the customer experience.
The Biggest Challenge to Implementing a Work Order Management System – User Adoption
The biggest challenge to any Work Order Management Software system is user adoption.
When your staff, management, and facility team find a system easy-to-use, the features it offers become valuable assets, streamlining operations and enhancing your team’s overall efficiency.
That is why we think the three most important things to look for in a Work Order Management system are:
- Ease-of-Use &
Try to find a feature-rich Work Order Management System with an intuitive user interface that is extremely easy to use.
MaintainIQ is a modern Work Order Management Software system designed specifically for the restaurant and hospitality industry, with a strong reputation for having a highly intuitive, easy-to-use user interface.
Cost Considerations: Pay per User or Pay per Location
When considering cost, you must consider all aspects of the work order management software.
Most modern Work Order Management Software systems charge a monthly or annual subscription.
The question is: Pay per User or Pay per Location?
- Do you have one large location with many employees? If so, paying per location is the most cost-effective pricing model.
- Do you have many locations with just a few select employees? If so, then paying per user will be more cost-effective.
Along with evaluating the cost, it’s essential to consider how the work order management system can streamline administrative tasks, ultimately making maintenance more efficient and manageable.
- Opting for a per-location payment plan with unlimited users tends to reduce administrative work and provide a more efficient solution compared to managing and paying for individual user accounts.
- Staff changes, and turnover is inherent in the hospitality space, so paying per location seems to be the better option.
The affordability and real upfront savings make Work Order Management Software Systems a great option for restaurant operators looking to streamline their operations with minimal costs.
However, understanding the feature set and ease of use are both crucial for ensuring that your restaurant business gets exactly what it needs from this powerful automation tool.
With careful consideration of the costs, benefits, and features outlined in this article, you can confidently move forward with implementing a modern Work Order Management Software System for your restaurant operations – ultimately giving you access to improved efficiency, accuracy, and scalability at an affordable price point!
Implementing a Work Order Management Software System
Implementing a modern Work Order Management Software System is like turning on a light switch in the midst of darkness.
It eliminates the guesswork, illuminates the unknown, and provides clarity on what repairs need to be done, who is managing them, and when it is fixed.
Here’s what you need to know about Work Order Management Software:
- Work Order Management Software makes life easier for restaurant owners by allowing them to manage repairs quickly, efficiently, and in real-time from any location, at any time, day or night.
- Automated push notifications alert restaurant staff, management, and in-house facility teams when a repair is needed and provide real-time repair status updates so management and staff can be informed as soon as an update to a requested repair is made.
- The ability to track repairs and link them to assets gives restaurant operators insights into repair trends, which can help inform which manufacturers or service vendors to stick with and which ones to stay away from.
- Streamlined processes save time, reduce errors and create more efficient use of resources and manpower.
- When deciding which Work Order Management System to implement, go with an intuitive and easy-to-use system. Also, take into consideration the level of customer support you will get.
With the right Work Order Management Software system, you get an efficient solution that will save you time, money, and resources both in the short- and the long run.
In conclusion, restaurant work order management software systems are a great tool to help streamline operations and keep track of repairs across multiple locations.
Having the right system in place can make managing multiple repair requests a seamless and efficient process.
Seek a modern, feature-rich Work Order Management Software System designed specifically for your industry.
When in doubt, just remember: Simple is Always Better. User adoption will make or break the business case with a Work Order Management System, so choose wisely.
MaintainIQ is a modern, easy-to-use Work Order Management Software system to consider. To learn more, book a 20min screen-share demo here.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a Work Order?
A work order typically refers to a request made for a repair that is needed. For example, a work order is created for a leaky faucet, broken window, or maintenance request on a piece of equipment.
What is a Work Order Management System?
A Work Order Management System is typically software that can create, track & manage work orders across multiple locations and multiple users. Modern Work Order Management Systems are cloud-based, and can be accessed with any device – mobile, tablet or web-browser.
What features should a modern Work Order Management System Have?
A modern, Work Order Management System should feature unlimited users, the ability to create, assign, prioritize, update and track Work Orders with ease from any device. Other must-have features include push-notifications, reminders, the ability to take photos & notes, as well as the ability to link Work Orders to assets for cost analysis tracking.
How much should a Work Order Management Software System cost?
It depends on the industry and application. Typically, modern, cloud-based Work Order Management Systems charge a nominal monthly subscription that can range anywhere from $49-99 per location or per user.
What is the average setup time for a Work Order Management Software System?
The average set-up time for a Work Order Management system can range anywhere from 2-3 days to possible weeks, depending on the amount of information to be included in the work order system, such as assets, user accounts, access rights, existing work orders, etc.
What are some immediate benefits of a Work Order Management Software System?
Work Order Management Systems streamline the reporting, tracking, managing and updating of repair requests, thereby increasing staff productivity and minimizing resources used. Benefits can include reducing R&M expense by as much as 18% annually, extending the life-of-equipment by as much as 25%, and decreasing un-expected break-downs by as much as 67%.
What is the single most important thing you should look for when choosing a Work Order Management Software system to use?
Ease-of-use is the single more important thing to look for when implementing a Work Order Management System. User adoption on a new system is difficult as it is, so choosing a Work Order Management System that is highly intuitive, and easy-to-use will lead to consistent usage and maximize the benefits resulting from using a Work Order Management System.
- 6 Tips for Effective Restaurant Training With E-Checklists - February 19, 2024
- What’s on Your Daily Restaurant Operations Checklist? - February 6, 2024
- What’s on Your Eatery’s Closing Checklist? - February 3, 2024